Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Feminine Misstep

Why haven’t I been posting as of late? I’ve been playing housewife. Except I do not have a husband, and my three bedroom fourth floor walk-up in the “diverse” (half of my block is public housing) neighborhood could barely construed as a house. Well, its certainly not what I envision having when your author becomes a baby-maker at the tender age of 45. You know, because when I do the math and think that if I want to start baby making at 31 or so, that implies that if I would follow that time frame I could *potentially* be responsible for another life form in 5 years! (Holy Fuckface kids!) It’s enough that 4 of my friends are getting married this year. I cannot deal with right now the thought that I will be 30 in three and half years and am going to my five year college reunion in May.

But back to the point of this post. What most people don’t realize is that the more free time you have on your hands, the more you find your days packed with “to-dos”. Perhaps its part survival instinct, trying to maintain a semblance of productivity or perhaps it really is that we rush through the things that give us meaning in our lives only to be rewarded for sitting in front of a computer for 10+ hours a day. But this post is not about my neo-marxist rants, so I will spare you my ruminations.

I haven’t been writing because I have been busy with doing nothing.

Well, not nothing exactly. In addition to job hunting, I have been re-writing my thesis (I have a brilliant book idea that I am trying working on). Exercising (and beginning to look hot in the process, may I add). And tomorrow I am spending the day making Hamantash for my friends and assembling Purim baskets.

I’ve become the Jewish Martha Stewart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in as another who is glad you are blogging again. It's like, never a dull moment, even when there are dull moments.
I found out that you were blogging again last Sunday when my daughter responded to my mention of missing the Oxford blog by saying that you were back among the blogging.
Looking forward to more adventures.

Corinne said...

no more posting? Seriously, i'm trying to write my thesis and I need your sarcastic, funny take on life in the nyc!! please please don't let me down.